Bringing about a more humane and just immigration system in the United States.
Sylvania Franciscan Stand on Immigration
The Sylvania Franciscans are deeply concerned about those fleeing untenable situations in their home countries. These are mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers who have been forced from their homes by unimaginable violence and insecurity; corruption; and droughts and floods linked to climate change. These are women and girls fleeing intolerable situations of domestic violence.
These people have rejected cultures of corruption and exploitation in their home countries in hopes of an opportunity to contribute their labor and talent to this nation. We empathize with them as they are traveling the same road our forbearers chose when fleeing tyranny and violence in search of the American dream.
Creating fear and division poisons our politics. We choose the dream of an America that is filled with hope. Pope Francis calls us to “promote the dignity of all our brothers and sisters, particularly the poor and the excluded of society, those who are abandoned, immigrants and those who suffer violence and human trafficking.”
We urge the administration to manage refugee arrivals humanely and in a manner that respects their dignity and rights under US and international law and to:
- Allow migrants to approach our border and ask for protection in the United States and to be admitted for processing in a timely manner.
- Ensure that asylum seekers have access to legal counsel and receive a fair resolution of their claim.
- Guarantee that parents and children stay together after they are apprehended.
- Eschew detention of those awaiting adjudication of their asylum petitions in favor of alternatives that are more humane and more cost efficient.
- Direct Homeland Security to cooperate with faith-based and humanitarian organizations who are prepared to assist asylum-seekers.
The United States has a long and proud history of welcoming immigrants and sheltering refugees. Women religious have been blessed to be able to accompany and serve migrant communities across this country for a very long time. We will continue to welcome them as our national history demands and our faith requires.
This statement includes excerpts from LCWR’s recently released stand on immigration. LCWR is an association of leaders of congregations of Catholic sisters in the United States. 10/29/18
Sylvania Franciscans work for Migrants and Immigration Reform by:
- Writing to Congress
- Supporting local boycotts
- Standing up for the migrants in our area
- Praying for our government leaders that they make wise decisions regarding the immigrant population to preserve the rights of immigrant workers and to ensure family unity