We explicitly oppose the trafficking of women and children for the purpose of sexual exploitation and forced labor.
2012-2016 Peacemaking Initiative: We the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio, will focus both personally and communally, on study, reflection and action regarding the Franciscan call to peacemaking, care for the Earth and concern for the poor, in light of our Franciscan values.
Sylvania Franciscan Corporate Stance – Adopted February 2008: We, the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio, and our Associates, in keeping with our position of non-violence and respecting the inherent dignity of each person, corporately stand in support of human rights by explicitly opposing the trafficking of women and children for the purpose of sexual exploitation and forced labor.
Recognize the Problem
Many victims do not realize they are being trafficked. Learn to recognize and report these warning signs:
- Moves often
- Talks about traveling to other cities
- Runs away from home
- Has a “boyfriend” who is much older
- Seems to be controlled (rarely alone, kept away from family and friends)
- Shows signs of physical abuse, starvation
- Does not have IDs (drivers license, passport)
- Appears to live at or near workplace (cots or sleeping bags may be visible in the back room of a business)
- Experiences restricted movement
- Works with a large group of people in a small space
- Shows signs of physical abuse, isolation, starvation
- Works long hours and is not free to leave
- Does not have IDs (drivers license, passport, immigration documents)
Ways You Can Help
- Be AWARE of the specifics on Human Trafficking
- Continue to EDUCATE yourself on Human Trafficking
- PRAY for those working to eradicate Human Trafficking (Modern Day Slavery) as well as those who are trafficked, and those who are trafficking for sex and labor. Public prayer services are generally held in January or February 8, Feast of St. Josephine Bakhita, in several areas of the country.
- KNOW the national hotline number to call for assistance and tips:
1-888-373-7888 or text HELP toBE FREE (233733)
Sylvania Franciscans work to end Human Trafficking by:
- Educating themselves on the issue
- Raising awareness at our parishes, our places of ministry, and any local communities with which we connect
- Contacting legislators on the issue
- Sponsoring prayer opportunities on the issue